Sunday, March 24, 2019

Challenge/ Charity quilt

Mom's top
March's guild meeting for the Tellico Quilters Guild mom picked up stuff for their challenge quilt/charity quilt. The main challenge was to use these kids sports fabric and create a quilt out of it. They did give some fabrics that you can use but mom didn't like most of them. She did a cute block pattern alternating in pink and green.

She asked me to do the backing because she likes my backing style. I was asked not last week but the week before that and I told her it would have to wait until the baby quilt was done. Since that was finished yesterday, this was today's project. It surprised me she wanted me to do the backing. She doesn't normally do improve and most of my pieced backs are improve pieced sometimes echoing an element on the front.

back in progress
Fabric selection
Sometimes I spend a lot of time thinking and changing but a lot of the time I just go with what feels right. I do still find times where a color combination will give me trouble. I did have that issue with this one. I was given all the scraps and the extra fabrics that she got from the swap. Some of the fabrics I wished to incorporate but I just couldn't figure out how to add them. It did take longer then I thought it would because I did some small piecing to use up specific scraps.

I am happy with the overall backing.  I created the squares from the front and made the pieced section of the fabrics from the front. I did want to use dark blue or orange but I couldn't make them work and they just didn't match.
Finished backing

No comments:

Post a Comment