Saturday, February 9, 2019

WIP - A Rose for my Boyfriend

Time for a work in progress check. I think I'm 1/3 done with the quilting now.

As much as I complain about the process of quilting I always feel very proud of my final projects. Piecing is my favorite part, and quilting is fun on smaller projects. If the project I'm quilting on is larger then a crib sheet size then it's a major pain in the butt. I mean I could avoid this by paying a long arm quilter to do it but I do enjoy when a project I'm working on was all me.

Updated work space
My arms have actually been hurting from pushing and pulling this quilt around. Up until now I have had no support around my sewing machine. It made me want to stop constantly.  It also makes me want to skip doing any of the fancy stuff. I've just been going around the block so far. I did one area with extra stitching on one of the big blocks. I figure since there's a lot of space there I need to fill it more.

My biggest issue with this has been space. I don't have a separate sewing room to spread stuff out. Today I managed to squeeze a folding table in behind the table that has my sewing machine on. This has worked wonders. I wish I had room for a table this big all the time.

I've gone through 5 bobbins so far and I may run out of this color thread before the end of the quilt. I got it as part of a limited edition set one Christmas. I don't really want to go out and buy more. I have a back up thread that is close in color to use once this does run out. I have used it to hand stitch around in flowers in the second to largest  block. So it won't be unusual for a change in color. Plus I was thinking of going back with dark grey or black when I do the largest and try to do some of the stripes in that block also. I do my best design decisions on the fly sometimes. If I hate it I will find a way to fix it. I think Bob Ross said "there's no mistakes, only happy accidents."

Hopefully my next update will be me putting the binding on and finishing this thing.

For tea this morning I'm just going to make some of the royal palace tea. Nothing new, sorry. It's very refreshing and it has grapefruit and lemon in it. The grapefruit flavor it's as obvious, but it has become more obvious as I've had more. I'm glad I bought two containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment