Thursday, February 14, 2019

A Rose for My Boyfriend Finished!

No more WIP posts for this one. I have a finished quilt! It's not my fastest quilt time but I did finish it pretty quickly compared to my average quilting time. So, Lets start with a little time line of my quilt.


  • Dec. 29, 2018 to Dec 31st- Piecing. I Found the pattern out of Simple Modern Quilts & Crafts # 15 which I believe is the December 2018 issue. It hadn't been out long. I got the magazine for a cute penguin pattern but decided to do this one first. I still want to make a penguin.
  • Jan 6th 2019 - Backing and Basting. I started the backing the next weekend out of the scraps from the quilt top. This was an excellent use of scraps and left me with almost nothing. I've been tempted to toss my remaining pieces but I keep stopping myself. Most of the backing is a sold black fabric I picked up from JoAnn's on New Year's day. I decided that if I finished it quickly I would try to enter it in a local quilt show. I've missed that deadline now but It was motivation to not stop. 
  • Jan 7th to Feb 13th- Quilting. I'm still slow at sitting down and quilting because my work area has always been slow. Last minute inspiration from the web showed me an idea on expanding the work area so that I'm not hurting myself so badly pushing and lifting the fabric. I am no expert at quilting. Anyone who sees my stitches will not argue with that, but I am learning and getting better. 
    Almost no scraps!
  • Feb 14th- Binding and Finishing! With the final week of realizing how close I was to finishing I was able to get myself to work harder and finish everything on Valentines Day. I do still have to label it but for now I call it a good finish. The binding fabric was a scrap from a walker bag I made for my aunt years ago. It was a large piece maybe a little smaller then a fat quarter. It matches the pinks in the quilt and even if it's adding a new fabric to the whole project it matches the thread color I used. 
Back of the quilt

Now I'm not sure I want to continue to do so many of the bed size quilts but I do have a few tops this size to quilt. I think I have a better idea on what to do to make it easier. One thing I want to invest in is a walking foot or a free motion foot for my sewing machine. I use a Project Runway Brother I got several years ago on a black friday sale. It has been a wonderful machine but I never bothered to buy extra feet. 

Now that this quilt is done I will start on my next WIP and I'm thinking about the Halloween one. 

For tea today I have a Ginger Peach Green Tea. I picked this one up recently at Tuesday Mornings. It's very peachy. I love the smell of this one. The tin had 50 bags and I got it at a good price. Inside they were packaged into tow foil pouches of 25 each. I took one pouch to work and left one at home so I can have the tea both places. The cup in the photo is one I picked up at world market a few years ago. I like it because the green part is silicone so it keeps you from burning your hand on the warm glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment