Sunday, March 1, 2020

New notions from old

sample found online
While browsing on Facebook someone had posted about a vintage dish they found and repurposed as a sewing aid. It was a milk glass candy dish that has a laced edge on its lip. The owner turned it into a pincushion and scissors holder. I immediately did some research and found lots of quilters had repurposed these dishes for this purpose. I immediately started looking for one. I found several online in the $30 price range. I wanted to look around and see if I could find one locally for a better price. I told several friends if they found one to let me know.
I put the thread in just for this photo

One of them came through with a larger size dish complete with a lid. He said he found it for $20. I didn't realize how much that was a bargain until after I've found 5 myself in various shops without lids and all much higher in price. Recently I found the smallest one without a lid for $2. I currently use the larger one to hold my sewing machine extras and small scissors. I'm going to make a pin cushion for my smaller one.
Both of my dishes!




No comments:

Post a Comment