Sunday, May 12, 2019

WIP Terracotta Greenhouse.

I'll have better photos when I finished.
I pretty much decided to pick up another project the day after I finished my Fruit Salad throw. It is actually a UFO I had hanging around. I've actually got several of Elizabeth Hartman's patterns. Last year in June I purchased Greenhouse and a few pretty fabrics that I wanted to use in it. I got two charm packs of Violet Craft's Palm Canyon, a few yards of Apricot Ice and Terracotta solids. I'm calling this my Terracotta Greenhouse because of using that color for the pots which terracotta is a typical color associated with plant pots.

I used these fabrics to create a modified version of Elizabeth's Greenhouse pattern. I shortened mine by a few plants which were taken from the side and bottom making it a bit smaller than a twin size. If my quilt doesn't shrink too much it will be an extra-large throw or close to the twin size for a small bed. 
Palm Canyon Scraps for the back

I've gotten to where I hate quilting a large quilt even a full size can be difficult. But I do enjoy piecing them. I have 12 (soon to be 11) quilt tops that can attest to this. I could pay someone to do my larger pieces but I figure I spend enough on this hobby as is. I'm not getting anything back from these but a great sense of accomplishment.

When I last put this top down I had run out of the Apricot Ice fabric and needed to order some more. Since I had ordered it from Missouri Star and couldn't find it locally I had to wait for this to come in. Alas, that is a dangerous thing to ask me to wait. I had started a new task in that time period and everything got set aside in hopes I would pick it up soon. Well, at least a full year hasn't passed.
I try to use all the scraps on the back

Thread choices
I finished my top, which only needed borders on the top and bottom, and put together a backing this weekend. I have started the quilting process but this is taking a bit of thought as to what I want to do since the mostly solid background. I'm using two different thread colors but to be honest they both blend in with the apricot background that they look the same. I have Gutermann 502 Sahara on my bobbins and 370 Tea Rose for the topstitching. 

Since I can't tell you how much time I've already spent on the top because I can't remember, I am hoping that the quilting gets done almost as fast as Fruit Salad.

Tea today was Jasmine Green Tea by Ito En. I don't remember if I've put this one up yet. This is only available as unsweetened but it's got a smooth taste that isn't bitter at all. If you're not use to unsweetened teas then you will not like it, but this is one of my favorites of their teas.

No comments:

Post a Comment