Sunday, July 7, 2019

Double Wedding Ring Wall Hanging


In progress photo.
A major project I have been working on was a commission from one of my co-workers. Her brother is getting married this fall and she wanted to give him a unique wedding present. We had decided a wall hanging and after some looking she wanted the double wedding ring pattern.

She loved the traditional symbolism in it and thought it would be something very special for him. She had said the wedding is in October so not to hurry but I wanted to get it done so I can work on projects planned that need to be done before September.

Finished!
This is the first time I've done anything with this pattern. Generally, I avoid curved piecing because to me it's the devil to get to lay flat. I have done it before because I made purses in bucket shapes before. I had downloaded a free pattern and went fabric shopping with her so she can get the fabrics she wanted and go ahead and pay the material costs. People have a tendency to complain less about prices when they see what material costs really amount to.

backing being created
I only needed two rings so that did cut down on the number of curves I had to do. Not that I didn't do a lot. I paper pieced the ring sections easy. I do like paper piecing. I had a few spots in my piecing where there were small gathers and puckers visible but quilting it actually smoothed those out. I used Gutermann # 327 Maize for the thread.  It's a light yellow color that blended in with the other fabric choices.

I pieced a back with the scraps and used those scraps to create two small sleeves on the back for hanging. My co-worker said they're going to buy a dowl rod to hang it from. Overall everyone was very happy with the finished results.

No comments:

Post a Comment