Sunday, June 9, 2019

First Shop Hop - Whistlestop Shop Hop 2015

So way back machine post here. I wanted to go over my first ever shop hop. It's from the year I discovered row by row and it's the reason I discovered row by row. It was before I even started my blog.

In 2015 I had started going to Atomic Fibers as my home quilt shop. I had a friend working there and I hadn't really had a home shop before. I would stop in random shops but I never considered one a home shop. Atomic Fibers opened close to where I worked and I could stop in on my lunch break no problem. The owner introduced me to the concept of a shop hop and I was intrigued. Mom and I got our passports and decided to go for it on a Saturday.

There were 10 shops participating from the Knoxville area to Chattanooga, TN. Right now I can only find 9 of my patterns, so I think I missed one but I did enjoy going on a day trip. I had only been to one of the shops on the list. It was fun to explore new shops and see new things. I fell in love with every one of the shops I went to, even the smallest and most remote shops. I've not seen this particular shop hop repeated, and I still haven't finished the blocks I gathered.  I really need to put that in the WIP file since they are a bit of a UFO right now.

One of the more prominent memories of the trip was driving by the McKee Foods factory in Cleveland, TN. This is the company that makes Little Debbie snack cakes. We stopped by the store and got tons of snack cakes and I picked up a mini duffel in the shape of a Swiss Miss Roll.

During this trip everyone kept asking are you doing Row by Row.  Of course, my question was what is that? I got a crash course and had decided yes I'm doing this. Of course, that meant going back to all these shops the next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment