Sunday, June 9, 2019

East Tennessee Quilt Shop Hop 2019

Quilt Sample of blocks from Little Blessings
This is actually the first time I've participated in this particular hop. There is another one I've participated in the past with a similar name but this is a new shop hop for me. The East Tennessee Quilt Shop Hop has been going on for several years.

This year's theme was quilting throughout the year. They had 12 shops that wanted to participate so each one designed a block based on a monthly theme. They originally had 13 shops and would have done a row banner with it but one was unable to join them this year. Each shop had a demonstration and a special tool they were highlighting and a small free goody to go along with the block. I ended up getting the kits for all the blocks.

Mom and I took Saturday to travel to as many of the shops we could set out bright and early. We had planned 5 and would see if we could squeeze in more depending on the time since shops close at 3. Our path for the first day of travel took us all the way to Jamestown as the furthest shop. We started in Maryville with Twisted sisters because we were aiming to get there as the shop opened. I finished the day at 4:30 when I got home and crashed.

Loot from the first day of Hopping

Our stops in order were:

After that, we had a late lunch and came home. I was hoping to squeeze in Atomic Fibers in Oak Ridge, TN but due to the time change and trying to make sure we hit the further out shops that did not happen. We're already planning on a day two of the trip this week, and we have until June 14th to finish the hop.

Old truck graveyard in Florida
One of the fun things I saw on this drive was passing a riding lawnmower graveyard in Clarkrange, TN. I did not stop to get a photo because it was on private property behind a fence, but it was a funny sight. The yard had several dozen mowers clustered together in groups of 8 to ten and it was very grown up in spots. The grass was as high as the top of the mowers. Several were very old and rusted. There was a neat path mowed in the grass around the clusters though. I have seen something like it on the side of the road in Florida before as an old pickup truck graveyard. Both locations were remote countryside areas. 

That is always the fun of shop hops like this. I get to go to areas that I've never been and see things I would not have seen anywhere else.



No comments:

Post a Comment